The Cook, under the direction of designated management and supervisors, will prepare, present, store, and dispatch all food products, specifically, but not limited to Dining Room, Bistro (where located), marketing and catering events and resident tray service where required. This will include various functions to pre-set menu specifications within the given time limitations as previously determined by the Executive Chef and Guest, according to the standards of Commonwealth Senior Living as determined by the Executive Chef, and in compliance with all health and safety regulations by ensuring adherence to all sanitary and safe food handling guidelines at all times.
• Professional diploma or food services management experience required.
• Minimum 1 year of cooking experience required.
• Working experience in the retirement home industry preferred.
• Demonstrated knowledge of food and catering trends, quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls, and presentation required.
• Knowledge of methods and procedures for serving food, principles of sanitation, and principles of safe food handling required.
• Ability to lift up to 50lb required.
• Effective communication skills.
• Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment.
• Highly effective teamwork skills.
• Computer literacy, including effective working skills of MS Word, Excel and e-mail required.
• Attention to detail in all areas of work.
• Superior time management skills, multitasking skills, and the ability to prioritize tasks with minimal supervision.
• Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills.
• Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
• Customer Focus
• Energy & Stress
• Team Work
• Quality Orientation
• Problem Solving
• Accountability and Dependability
• Operating Equipment
Cook Level 1 Certificate or higher (Cook Branch 2 or Red Seal) or equivalent time in the field of cook.
Certification in the Food Handlers Course with recertification every 5 years.
Experience in quantity food production.
Ability to read and write English, plus understand oral and written directions.
Ability to direct and supervise co-workers.
Ability to lift heavy objects stands for long periods of time, walk short distances throughout the day and tolerate the heat from the kitchen.