The Lead Cook is responsible to manage the cooking staff and operation of the kitchen. It is also the responsibility of the Lead Cook to manage the production of food while staying within the operating budget. In the absence of the Chef Manager the Lead Cook is responsible for additional department operations.
Lead Cook essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Attends training programs as directed by manager
- Trains and instructs cooks and kitchen staff
- Ensures completion of staff assignments
- Assists in employee evaluations and development programs
- Assists in employee counseling and corrective action plan
- Complies with and enforces all sanitation polices/procedures
- Maintains temperature logs for all equipment and prepared food
- Participates in menu planning
- Participates in ordering goods
- Accurate record keeping (checklist, production counts, food/equipment temperature)
- Speaks with residents in the dining room(s) regarding meal satisfaction
- Helps to organize, plan, cook and serve the daily meal as well as catered and special events
- Keeps food storage areas neat and in order
- Ensures proper food handling and storage according to established policies/procedures
- Prepares food according to established recipes
- Instructs/ensures all cooks are preparing food according to established recipes
- Assumes responsibility of left-over food to avoid waste
- Tastes food to ensure quality standards are met
- Reviews menu with production staff
Related Experience: Proven culinary skills; 3 to 5 years’ experience and/or formal training.
Education or Degree Requirements: High School Graduate or Equivalent. Graduation from an accredited secondary (vocational tech) culinary program, or post-secondary training or graduation from a culinary training program
Licenses, Certifications, Registrations: ServSafe Certification
About Wesley Enhanced Living
Our Dining Team is dedicated to maintaining the highest customer service and quality standards. Our commitment goes beyond preparing and serving meals; Wesley Enhanced Living is proud to be part of a green initiative that uses eco-friendly products and containers. Every meal is created in our kitchens and is prepared by experienced culinarians and served with a smile.
If you are inspired by our mission to make a compelling difference in the lives of seniors, are enthusiastic about life-long learning, and are seeking employment in a close-knit community where your strengths will be valued, Wesley Enhanced Living is the place to be! Our unique leadership initiative, workplace culture, and vision of lifelong learning for our entire staff promotes innovation and excellence within an inspiring, rewarding work environment.