OnlyRestaurantJobs.com is happy to provide sample / suggested waitress jobs, waiter jobs and server job descriptions. Feel free to cut and paste any sample description into the job description box on the “Post a Job” form. Companies who provide detailed descriptions and selling points about their opportunity are more likely to receive targeted quality candidates.
SERVER / WAITRESS / WAITER
Overall Responsibilities: Take orders and serve food and beverages to customers. Greet customers with a happy and enthusiast attitude.
Waitress/Waiter Experience: No prior experience is required for this position.
Waitress/Waiter Job Details:
- Greet customers with a happy and enthusiast attitude.
- Present menus and answer questions about menu items as well as make recommendations and communicate any daily specials.
- Write food and drink orders on slips, memorize, or enter in to a computer system for transmittal to kitchen staff. Effectively communicate with kitchen staff.
- Serve food and beverages to customers.
- Confirm orders are complete and well-presented before serving to customers.
- Check with customers to ensure that they are enjoying their meals and correct any problems.
- Prepare checks and collect and process payments from customers.
- Feel comfortable checking identification to ensure guests meet age requirements for consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Keep table presentation clean throughout the dining experience.
- Roll silverware, set up food stations, and / or set up dining areas.
- OTHER SPECIFIC INFORMATION ABOUT THIS POSITION.
Tips On Being A Great WAITRESS / WAITER / SERVER*
- Leave drama, bad moods and personal issues at the door.
- Try not to get involved in work politics. Avoid trash talking your boss or other employees to your colleagues. In the end, they will find out!
- Just relax, people are there to enjoy themselves. You should too.
- Never ask the customer for a bigger tip.
- Try to befriend fellow colleagues – they may be able to help you if they’re friendlier with you!
- Always exhibit respect to all your customers.
- Communicate well with other staff to make the experience more pleasurable and easier.
- Ring in your appetizers first. Then enter the drinks and entrees. Your appetizers will be hot and out minutes after you serve them their drinks.
- Don’t pressure costumers onto buying things they don’t want, they will get irritated if you do so.
Warnings For WAITRESS / WAITER / SERVER*
- Never brag about your tips in front of other waiting staff.
- Never count your tips in front of the customers.
- Do not reach over one customer to serve another. If the setting is informal and you have no other choice, at least say “excuse my reach”.
*Tips and Warnings taken from How To Become A Great Waitress. Read the full article — 4 Methods To Becoming A Great Waitress. Earn more tips as a Waitress / Waiter / Server — How To Earn More Tips as a Waiter or Waitress.